Flagship model featuring the newly-developed high-speed 102MP sensor and the latest image processing engine, delivering the highest burst-shooting, AF, video performance and stabilization in the history of GFX Series to broaden genre coverage.
It will be the latest addition to the GFX Series of mirrorless digital cameras incorporating the large-format image sensor approximately 1.7 times larger than a 35mm full-frame sensor. The GFX100 II features the newly-developed 102MP high-speed image sensor “GFX 102MP CMOS II HS” and the high-speed image processing engine “X-Processor 5” to deliver up to double the signal readout speed compared to the current model. It is a new flagship model that delivers the highest burst-shooting, AF and video performance in the history of GFX Series.
The GFX100 II boasts superior image quality thanks to the use of the large format sensor. It is the first GFX Series mirrorless digital camera that features the AI-based subject-detection AF, developed with Deep Learning technology, as well as the latest predictive AF algorithm. The burst mode performance has also been enhanced from the current model to 8.0 frames per second and the stabilization performance has been improved to an eight-stop five-axis to broaden the scope of genres for the GFX Series from fashion, commercial and landscape categories to sports and news photography, where high-speed performance is essential.
The use of the new sensor has also led to significant enhancement of video recording capability. The GFX100 II is the first GFX Series camera that supports 8K/30P video, and can also record 4K/60P 4:2:2 10-bit video internally. Furthermore, it offers the new “Video Format” modes to enable video recording in multiple formats including Premista, 35mm, and anamorphic (35mm) with the mount adapter. Video recording in a variety of situations is catered to, thanks to the enhanced sensor readout speed and the tracking AF, which automatically tracks a subject to keep it in focus.
The camera body is equipped with an Ethernet port as well as HDMI Type A and USB-C terminals to broaden connectivity with external devices significantly for diverse peripheral combinations. In addition, the high-magnification, high-definition EVF that ensures high visibility and the functional beauty of the body design supports a comfortable shooting experience for professional photographers and filmmakers.
Highest burst shooting and AF performance in the history of the GFX Series
- The GFX100 II is equipped with the newly-developed 102MP image sensor “GFX 102MP CMOS II HS,” which boasts up to double the signal readout speed compared to the current model to enable continuous shooting of up to 8.0 frames per second. Users can enjoy burst shooting at very quick intervals completely stress-free thanks also to reinforced buffer memory. In the field of sports photography, previously difficult with past GFX Series models, the GFX100 II seizes decisive photo moments while preserving the high definition and high image quality synonymous with the large format sensor.
- The use of an improved algorithm has evolved the Face / Eye AF and introduced the AI-based subject-detection AF, developed with deep-learning technology to detect animals, birds, cars, motorcycles, bicycles, aeroplanes, trains, insects and drones. A targeted subject is automatically tracked while kept in focus so that users can focus on shutter opportunities and framing. The evolved predictive AF algorithm provides added ease to users in sports photography, for example, which requires advanced tracking capability to track a subject that moves quickly within the frame.
- The camera is equipped with a high-magnification and high-definition 9.44-million-dot EVF with 1.0x magnification. It suppresses parallax and distortion which typically occurs when an eye position becomes displaced while using the viewfinder, thereby providing stellar visibility. The EVF boasts a smooth refresh frame rate of approx. 120fps to accurately identify a subject’s fast movements.
Broader scope of stills expressions
- Improvement to the pixel structure has boosted the new sensor’s saturated electrons, thereby enabling the use of ISO80 as a non-extended sensitivity. When the sensor sensitivity is set at ISO80, the camera can capture images at a greater dynamic range and lower noise than with the previous model.
- The new sensor’s microlenses are improved to increase light use efficiency at the sensor’s edges, thus improving image quality and AF accuracy at the edges over the previous model.
- The GFX100 II comes with a new Film Simulation mode called “REALA ACE,” which offers faithful colour reproduction and high-contrast tonality. Users can use 20 Film Simulation modes to give images a diverse range of distinctive tones as if they are choosing a suitable photo film.
- The camera features the Pixel Shift Multi-Shot function, which enables 4x resolution and faithful colour reproduction. The function controls the In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) mechanism at the advanced level to shift the image sensor by 0.5 pixels at a time and shoot 16 RAW images in quick succession. The dedicated software “Pixel Shift Combiner” is then used to combine the 16 RAW files to generate a 400MP image. This is a perfect choice for commercial photography or digital archiving of cultural assets.
Extensive video performance
- This is the first GFX Series model capable of recording 8K/30P video. It can also record 4K/60 4:2:2 10-bit video internally, demonstrating significant improvement in video performance thanks to the use of the new sensor.
- Users can film a moving subject naturally due to the increased sensor readout speed and suppression of the rolling shutter effect. The non-extended ISO100 is also available in video mode to deliver even higher image quality in video footage.
- The GFX100 II supports three Apple ProRes codecs, i.e. Apple ProRes 422 HQ, Apple ProRes 422 and Apple ProRes 422 LT. When shooting in Apple ProRes, the camera can use proxy video recording such as Apple ProRes 422 Proxy, which reduces video editing workload to streamline the overall workflow from filming to postproduction.
- The camera features Video Format modes, enabling video recording in multiple formats including Premista, 35mm, and anamorphic (35mm) with the mount adapter.
- The tracking AF function for video recording has been added. Users can touch the screen to specify a subject to be tracked while filming in the AF-C + Wide / Tracking AF mode. This allows the camera to track the right subject in situations where multiple subjects are in the frame.
- This is the first GFX Series camera that features F-Log2 with dynamic range expanded up to 14+ stops. This enhancement enables video recording with enriched tonality, thereby broadening post-production potential significantly.
- The GFX100 II can output up to 8K/30P 12-bit video in RAW data via HDMI. The camera can record video in the Apple ProRes RAW format when used with the NINJA V+ monitor by ATOMOS, and in the Blackmagic RAW format when used with the “Video Assist 12G” monitor by Blackmagic Design.
- The camera supports timecode synch with ATOMOS AirGlu BT. This enables seamless timecode synching with multiple cameras, meeting demand from various video production sites.
Hardware that provides powerful shooting support and design that epitomizes functional beauty
- The GFX100 II has a new IBIS mechanism. It uses image information to detect camera shakes for enhanced stabilization accuracy to achieve up to eight-stop five-axis stabilization performance, the best among Fujifilm cameras. Users can shoot hand-held with ease even in low-light situations such as night landscapes.
- The camera body has been designed with multiple improvements over previous models in pursuit of practicality. The new BISHAMON-TEX texture is used to maximize the camera’s grip when hand-held in various angles. The top panel is slightly slanted toward a user so that camera settings can be checked with minimal eye movement. The sub-LCD monitor at the top is larger than previous models with an updated GUI design for enhanced visibility.
- The operability of various buttons has been improved, and three Fn buttons with advanced operability have been added to the top of the grip so that users can adapt to changes in shooting conditions smoothly.
Available for pre-order now, body only for RM38,888 Contact Fujifilm Malaysia for more information.
Would you like to receive daily photography news and updates from us? Subscribe to our newsletter:-