With the grand entry to the full-frame segment earlier this year with the Lumix S1 and S1R, this week, Panasonic brings out one more full-
frame body, tailored for the filmmakers, the Lumix S1H
In brief, the Lumix S1H is a new mirrorless camera equipped with a full-frame image sensor to combine professional-level video quality with the high portability of mirrorless system cameras. Lets take a look at some important features of this camera.
The heart of this camera is powered by a newly developed 24.2-megapixel full-frame image sensor features an improved version of Panasonic’s Dual Native ISO. In combination with Venus Engine processor, it achieves high sensitivity with minimal noise across an expansive range of ISO settings. The LUMIX S1H provides 14+ stops of dynamic range as well as V-Log / V-Gamut that are compatible with the popular “VariCam Look”
HDR (High Dynamic Range) in HLG (Hybrid
The LUMIX S1H incorporates a Body I.S. to effectively compensate for hand-shake movement. Combining the Body I.S. (5-axis) and the O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabiliser, 2-axis) in the LUMIX S Series lenses, the Dual I.S. 2 could withstand camera-shake of up to 6.5-stops. The new rear monitor, real view
The LUMIX S Series cameras use the L-Mount system to provide professional photographers with a diverse and future-proof range of products. More than 45 L-Mount interchangeable lenses, including over ten LUMIX S/S PRO lenses, will be available from Panasonic, Leica and SIGMA by the end of 2020. A variety of mount adapters/converters further expand the opportunities to use an even wider range of modern and legacy lenses. The L-Mount thereby opens up an almost limitless spectrum of new creative possibilities.
Outstanding video recording capability is the greatest feature of the LUMIX S1H, making it a professional tool for high-end film making. In brief, let’s check the bullet points:
- Capturing 6K resolution video and still images measuring 6,024 x 4,016 pixels.
- Optical Low Pass Filter suppresses moiré, which is especially important in video
- Dual Native ISOs are 640 and 4000, which will allow cinematographers to shoot in almost any lighting environment. This Dual Native ISO feature can be switched manually between LOW (ISO 640-5000) and HIGH (ISO 4000-51200), or left in AUTO mode for the camera to make the decision for you.
- 6K/24p, 5.4K/30p (3:2 aspect ratio) or 5.9K/30p (16:9 aspect ratio) for the first time
- World’s first full-frame digital interchangeable lens system camera to enable 10-bit 60p 4K/C4K HEVC video recording when using an image area equivalent to Super 35mm.
- 4:2:2 10-bit 4K30p recording in H.264 with footage captured from the full area of the sensor. The high-resolution data recorded by the 6K sensor can also be used for creating 4K videos with higher image quality or for cropping images for 4K output.
- 4:2:2 10-bit 4K 60p/50p HDMI output, including 4:3 Anamorphic modes
- 14+ stops of Dynamic Range – which is virtually the same as the Panasonic Cinema Cameras.
- Colorimetry of the VariCam line-up of cinema cameras, and offers V-Log/V-Gamut capture to deliver a high dynamic range and broad colours.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) video recording is available.
- Variable Frame Rate: C4K/4K (60fps, maximum 2.5x slow motion in 24p) and FHD (180fps, maximum 7.5x slow motion in 24p)
Panasonic has designed a near-silent cooling fan with an innovative structure that efficiently draws heat away from the sensor of the LUMIX S1H to support its limitless video recording capability. Lumix S1H is composed of magnesium alloy with full die-cast top/front/rear frame. Robust construction and a seal for every joint, dial, and button make the LUMIX S1H not only splash resistant and dust resistant but also freeze-resistant down to -10 degrees Centigrade. The durable shutter unit is also tested for approximately 400,000 cycles.
The LUMIX S1H is equipped with a double SD memory card slot, compatible with the high-speed, high-capacity UHS-II and Video Speed Class 90. Users have the flexibility to choose the recording method from Relay Recording, Backup Recording or Allocation Recording which enables the saving of video and photo data on separate cards. The 7.4-V 3,050mAh high-capacity battery achieves a long recording time of approximately 2 hours in all recording modes. The battery charger enables quick power charging in approximately two hours. The camera can be used while charging via this adaptor.
This camera is Bluetooth 4.2 compliance and WiFi up to 5GHz, enables constant connection with a smartphone/tablet with minimum power consumption and users can use the smart devices as remote controls. The settings of a LUMIX S1H camera can also be copied and transmitted wirelessly to other S1H cameras when using multiple S1H cameras.
The new Status LCD information panel on the top plate is the largest-in-class, measuring 1.8-inch and offering very high resolution. Adopting MIP (Memory In Pixel technology), it consumes very little power so is able to be kept on even when the camera is switched off. It shows the recordable time for
The LUMIX S1H is not just a high-quality video camera, it is also capable of producing stunning still images in 14-bit RAW format for precise reproduction of colour, tone and detail. Panasonic has achieved a high-speed AF system using its advanced technology in its lens, sensor and imaging engine. The lens and sensor communicate at a maximum 480fps, and combining Contrast AF with DFD technology, the LUMIX S1H realizes an ultra-high-speed, high-precision AF of approximately 0.08 sec. LUMIX S1H also boasts high-speed burst shooting at 9fps (AFS) or 6fps (AFC), and with its high subject-tracking performance.
This camera is expected to be available from the end of September, with no local pricing available yet, we think this could be close to RM19k for the body alone. Contact Panasonic Malaysia for details.
Would you like to receive daily photography news and updates from us? Subscribe to our newsletter:-